Sunday, October 25, 2015

Images from Mud Island River Park; Part II

One of my favorite places to visit in Memphis is Mud Island River Park. I first learned about it from the Tom Cruise Movie "The Firm." So the first time I spent time here I visited, road the tram, and explored the museum. I shot there a couple of times this year. Once in early May when it was not too warm yet and again just the other day, a beautiful day I might add. It affords some great views of the Memphis skyline and the River. 

 This is one of my favorite vistas. I like this particular view a lot. This is from the earlier shoot when the leaves, and the greenery was just becoming summer lush.

 Here is a shot of the marina that is on the city side of Mud Island. These scenes were everywhere when I was living in California but one does not immediately think of a view of such a nice marina here in Memphis. I especially like the stillness of the water and the great reflections.

Fall is just beginning and the greens are making way for browns, tans and reds. I thought that this foliage would be especially interesting juxtaposed to the hard edge of the skyline.


Here is a great look at the Falls Building. It was shot with my 55-210mm lens and the detail is quite nice even from across the river.

Here is the infamous tram featured in the movie "The Firm"


Here are a couple of wider angles of the marina and the skyline

 
Yet another view of the tram and below a view the bridge approach that is above the tram

I really like doing a light application of HDR on my city skyline shots. Not so much on my landscapes without buildings, but HDR greatly enhances the texture of concrete bricks and stone. It has a tendency to bring a kind of false texture to foliage so I do not like to use it on all landscapes and therefore, when we look in on Shelby Farms or Meeman Shelby State Park I do not usually use HDR at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment